JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

If you saw a paper entitled "Regional glucose metabolic changes after learning a complex visuospatial/motor task: a positron emission tomographic study", would you connect it to Tetris?

In 1992, researchers at the University of California, Irvine, investigated how the brain would change when subjected to a rigorous training session in the vaunted computer game. What did they find?

When starting the game as a newbie, the brain consumes greater quantities of glucose as it ramps up activity and function. As the player gets more proficient, the consumption of glucose reduces, with the brain improving its efficiency for the task.

I'm not sure I've quite reached that superefficient usage level. I go to the free Tetris site once in a while, and occasionally score 15,000 points, but I guess I am not doing it regularly enough to allow my grey cells to switch to background processing...

0 comments:

Post a Comment