JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

May 24, 2008

Glimpses of Marseille

I skedaddled out of Aix-en-Provence like a scalded conference attendee on Tuesday to visit Marseille. Didn't achieve a whole lot during my few hours in that there ecumenical city of tolerance and appreciation. A chocolatier I was keen to patronise was closed, and a restaurant vaunted for its bouillabaise was full. I felt too lazy to climb up the hill to the Notre Dame de la Garde and satisfied myself with an occasional view of it from the Vieux Port. I ambled around the celebrated Panier district, sweating like a nomad, and was somewhat underwhelmed. For the oldest medieval district in France, it looked neither particularly old nor particularly distinguished.  But here are some quick snaps I took.

Fort St Jean.

Narrow streets in Le Panier.

Hospice de la Vieille Charité

Notre Dame de la Garde with the Flaming Virgin atop a hill overlooking the Old Port

Restored Square within the Panier quarter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment