JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

May 24, 2008

Tag @ Random

Swar tagged Space Bar who tagged the world. Intriguing concept:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

So here goes.

1. Foreskin's Lament, by Shalom Auslander
2. It has 310 pages in hardcover, so no worries here.
3. Right. Fifth sentence.
4. Next three sentences:
Our friendship seemed to wither as new friends entered our world: friends of his who wondered why he was talking to me, friends of mine who wondered why I was talking to him. Hellos became waves. Waves became nods.
5. Anyone who wants to, by all means.

Crikey, this is impenetrable. And Space Bar's three sentences were much better.

Oh well, luck of the draw and all that...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feanor: I have seen this meme in so many places and everywhere I have responded in comments. Perhaps I should go back to some and see my own responses :-)

Now if I stand in my study, with my arms outstretched, I can reach a few hundred books on either side. Luckily a book I have borrowed is on the table.

Rules and Meanings (ed Mary Douglas)

Page 123, 3 lines after the 5th sentence (and this will definitely interest you with its parallels with the Indian perspective on right hand, left hand):

Among the tribes of the lower Niger, it is even forbidden for women to use their left hands when cooking, evidently under pain of being accused of attempted poisoning and sorcery. The left hand, like those pariahs on whom all impure tasks are thrust, may concern itself only with disgusting duties. We are far from the sanctuary here; but the dominion of religious concepts is so powerful that it makes itself felt in the dining-room, the kitchen, and even in those places haunted by demons and which we dare not name.

PS: It makes me wonder why woman/ wife is called Vaama, or the woman on your vaam hast (left hand)?

Space Bar said...

Nice! Hellos became waves. Waves became nods That's how it used to be in hostel!

Fëanor said...

Shefaly: thanks! Didn't know that the left bias existed outside the subcontinent and Araby.

SB: Hostel? I thought in college, it's usually the other way around? Nods become waves become hellos? Driven by a general-purpose sense of bonhomie and hormones? :-)

Post a Comment