JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

May 1, 2008

Tagalog

Tagged by Shefaly - a questionnaire.

1. Last movie you saw in a theater?

I suspect it was one of those mindless superhero things. Fantastic Foursome? The Incredible Bulk?

2. What book are you reading?

To-and-fro work: Old Man's War (John Scalzi); while the boy's in the bath: Court of the Air (Stephen Hunt); at other times: The Cartoon History of the Universe III (Larry Gonick)

3. Favorite board game?

Haven't played any for yonks, but the last one played was Scrabble.

4. Favorite magazine?

American Scientist and the Economist.

5. Favorite smells?

Sandalwood, I'd have to say.

6. Favorite sounds?

Flowing water.

7. Worst feeling in the world?

Getting up in the morning before everyone else at home.

8. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?

Holy crap, another day to trudge to work.

9. Favorite fast food place?

Haven't fooded fast in a while, unless counting those lunchtime sandwich places, all of which are too abject for words. Man, but I do miss Taco Bell.

10. Future child’s name?

Mahishasuramardhini. Yup.

11. Finish this statement. If I had lot of money I’d...?

Bring back Concorde.

12. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?

Sometimes Mr Strong. Some other times, Tato, the stuffed crocodile. No, they aren't mine, dammit. The little imp leaves 'em lying in my bed.

13. Storms - cool or scary?

Very cool.

14. Favorite drink?

Orange juice. Freshly squeezed.

15. Finish this statement, If I had the time I would...?

Do whatever I am doing anyway proportionately longer, I guess.

16. Do you eat the stems on broccoli?

Yes.

17. If you could dye your hair any color, what would be your choice?

Sadly, ain't got none to dye.

18. Name all the different cities/towns you’ve lived in?

(In reverse alphabetical order) Rangoon (Burma), Plainsboro (New Jersey, US), Park City (Illinois, US), New Brunswick (New Jersey, US), Moscow (Russia), London (England), Kozhikode (India), Kathmandu (Nepal), Jakarta (Indonesia), Hoboken (New Jersey, US), Gaithersburg (Maryland, US), Delhi (India), Caracas (Venezuela), Bangalore (India)

19. Favorite sports to watch?

Don't watch sports. Prefer to do sports, but don't do sports either.

20. One nice thing about the person who sent this to you?

She is an epicure.

21. What’s under your bed?

The boy's toys, very likely.

22. Would you like to be born as yourself again?

Hell yeah.

23. Morning person, or night owl?

Most active between noon and 1pm. Somnolent at other times.

24. Over easy, or sunny side up?

Scrambled.

25. Favorite place to relax?

Couch.

26. Favorite pie?

Shepherd's.

27. Favorite ice cream flavor?

Belgian chocolate.

28. Of all the people you tagged this to, who’s most likely to respond first?

Hello, world! If anyone likes to carry this on, please feel free!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feanor: Thank you for doing the tag! :-)

Mahishasurmardhini? Have you asked the mom??? You sure know that Mahishi means a buffalo ;-)

And an epicure? Why, thanks although I should let you know it is only food, no wine. And for a few days, not much eating out in nice places either. :-(

Szerelem said...

The answer to question 8. Why ho?! I thought you were loving the finance industry and all???

Fëanor said...

Shefaly: am I the only one that thinks that 'slayer of the buffalo demon' is a fantastic name? :-)

Btw, I'm glad you realised that I didn't mean 'epicure' in its archaic sense, heheh.

Szerelem: you seem to be sunning yourself nicely in Delhi! All tanned yet?

I like the mathematical modelling bit I do, but - you know - it's only a job. Don't tell anyone I said this, though.

Anonymous said...

Feanor: I am afraid it may be the case this time around. In particular, I am pretty sure the first 'mardan' that happens when the bearer of the name is old enough to know what it means, may well be yours... ;-) So best refrain, my friend. I like your blog and should like to read it for a long time to come. :-)

Besides to give one child a 2 syllable name and to give the other one a 6 syllable name is kind of unfair, is it not?

Fëanor said...

I'd wanted to call the little fellow Vaisampayana, but that was shot down. I'm hoping second time lucky!

Anonymous said...

Vaisampayana? Man, you have some creative ideas! I am glad your lady wife shot it down. Can you even begin to imagine the horrible twisty names the kid would have been called at school? Tut tut! Angad sounds like a great name to me. First of all, I have these mythological associations in my head which make him sound like a serious-don't-mess-with-me kind of guy; secondly, I watched a Hindi film, Vijeta, that Shashi Kapoor made where Kunal Kapoor is named Angad. I do not recall the story but he looked fabulous and believable as a uniformed officer in the air force and being called Angad. So Angad is miles better than Vaisampayana. :-) That is my view and I am sticking to it.

I have a friend - who was at Stephen's too but an undergrad in 1989-92 so unlikely that you know him, although as a IFS chap himself now, you will find some connections I am sure - whose brother is called Dwaipayan. Needless to say, most people call him Tubul.. So much for complicated names.

Fëanor said...

Good grief: Vijeta? Wasn't that a total flop? :-)

I liked Varahamihira, too, heheh. And Pushyamitra. Kulasekara perhaps?

Okay, I'm totally making it all up. Angad's always been my most favourite name and I was pleased as Punch when Nina agreed to it.

Re: your Stephanian pal, you're right, I don't think I knew him or Dwaipayan (now that's a cool name).

Post a Comment