JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

Jan 8, 2011

Coronation Menu

And I don't mean just chicken...

Boris Akunin's latest instalment in the Erast Fandorin series, The Coronation, has the intrepid investigator chasing after a master criminal through the revels following the crowning of Russia's last Czar. A stampede occurs, killing hundreds, marring the holy occasion. But appearances have to be kept up, and the nobility intends to fulfil its ceremonial obligations.
...And I was totally dismayed by the Moscow Illustrated Newspaper, which could think nothing better than to reproduce the artistically designed menu for the forthcoming supper for three thousand in the Faceted Palace:

LUCULLAN BOUILLON
ASSORTED PIES
COLD HAZEL GROUSE A LA SUVOROV
CHICKENS ROASTED ON THE SPIT
SALAD
WHOLE ASPARAGUS
ICE CREAM
DESSERT 
That is to say, I could see perfectly well that, owing to the sad events, the menu that had been drawn up was modest in the extreme, with no extravagances at all. Only a single salad? No sturgeon, no stuffed pheasants or even black caviar! A truly spartan meal. The highly placed individuals who had been invited to the supper would appreciate the significance of this. But why print such a thing in a newspaper that had many readers for whom 'dog's delight' sausage was a treat?

10 comments:

Agnija said...

I have been following of your blog and have enjoyed your work, although haven't really commented on anything! First off, kudos on keeping it interesting and running.

Have a question for you. How did you manage to post within your Pages. Have been trying to organize my blog in the same way, but can't seem to be able to do it. Care to blog about it?

Fëanor said...

Thanks! As far as pages go, the capability is offered by the template I use - I didn't do any fancy HTML myself. I think there are several blogger templates that offer these tabs. That's all I know!

Agnija said...

Do you mind pointing me in the direction of a couple of templates that would let you do that? Thanks

Fëanor said...

Here's a possible way

Agnija said...

Oh, this post essentially shows you how to make tabs of your Pages. My question, though, is to find a way to organize my blog posts under the various pages. For example, in your blog, I can click "History" and get all your posts on that subject. That is what I am unable to do!

Fëanor said...

Ah! I've tagged my history posts as 'history', and then when I set up my tabbed pages, the tab 'History' is linked to http://jostamon.blogspot.com/search/label/history

Does that help at all?

Agnija said...

Danke schoen! It does help. I am not yet quite there, though. The link appears as a link on the page. Which the reader would have to click. What did you do to make sure that the posts directly appear in the Page tab?
I just went to "Edit Pages" clicked on the page of interest and typed in my link.

Fëanor said...

I'm afraid I've reached my level of competence! In the HTML code corresponding to the tabs, I've listed my various tabs with HTML references, e.g.:

< a href='http://jostamon.blogspot.com/search/label/history'>History < / a >

Agnija said...

Thanks for the patience. My html code reads the same, except, I probably should go edit the HTML code for the tabs themselves. Thanks again!

Fëanor said...

Ha, it's less my patience than my ignorance of things HTML! I think I've sort of painted myself into a corner with the current template - the effort involved in changing it to another when I'm bored with it is quite considerable, and I'm getting tired of Brooklyn Bridge already...

Post a Comment