JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

Over the period leading up to the next International Congress of Mathematicians at Hyderabad in August, I'm planning to post the occasional article on this mathematician and that result. It's all very stirring, full of vigour and life and spirit.

To start with, take a look at the logo of this congress:


Do you recognise the formula?



It's Ramanujan's conjecture, which I mentioned in a previous article.

How about that, then? The ICM is coming to India for the first time, and what better forum to showcase one of India's greatest geniuses?

Watch this space.

7 comments:

Space Bar said...

so you'll be here? goody! we can meet. mail dates etc.

(i also want to see disappearing number with a couple of friends. no news yet about how tickets are to be got. if you guys have inside info, please tell!)

Fëanor said...

eh? no, i'm not going to be there. no leave, unfortunately! but if you go, be sure to post!

Space Bar said...

ah, ok. you realise it's like asking someone hearing impaired to interpret Beethoven, right?

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you read The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt? It's a fictional biography/tale about Ramanujan. I did my thesis on Chandrasekhar and Eddington so I had to do a lot of reading about Ramanujan too as he's legendary amongst Cambridge mathematicians. But I have to confess the maths is beyond me...

Fëanor said...

SB: no inside info, but I believe the play is being shown in Bombay as well at the Prithvi theatre, so if you are there early Aug, you'll be able to see it...

CB: Haven't read that book, though have heard of it. Might get around to it one day! Speaking of Chandrasekhar, etc., there was a book Empire of the Stars: Friendship, Obsession and Betrayal in the Quest for Black Holesabout him and Eddington and so on, which was quite good (and sad, re: Chandra's life). Did you read that one?

Space Bar said...

Why would I go to Bombay when I can see it here?! I will find a way! (She said, bravely).

Fëanor said...

SB: Enterprising as ever, I see. Have fun! And I'm sure there's no tone-deafness vis-a-vis that play, so you'll surely enjoy it. If not, pelt the actors with a tomato or two.

Post a Comment