JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

Aug 23, 2010

Sindhis Again?

Looks like our good people of Sindh are suddenly in the news again - this time with their astute mathematical skills in the problems of optimal transport! Here's an excerpt from a recent post by Tim Gowers who was attending the International Congress of Mathematicians at Hyderabad (note: not the one in Sindh):

I’m not going to try to explain Villani’s work beyond this. Let me just mention a few random things from what Yau said, and some even more random thoughts that I had during the talk. One of the latter was that amongst the other mathematicians Yau mentioned were Cergignani, who conjectured that the decay to global equilibrium of, I think, solutions to the Boltzmann equation is exponentially fast, Toscani, who proved with Villani that this conjecture is almost always (in a certain precise sense)correct (which was interesting as there are counterexamples due to Bobylev and Cergignani himself), and Gualdani, whose role in the story I did not write down and have forgotten. Could there be a pattern here?
Okay, just kidding. It's a slow evening.

3 comments:

km said...

Why, their people have graced other fields too: Modigliani, Toscanini and my personal favorite, panini.

Fëanor said...

I agree with the first one, but the other two are no Sindhis. -ani ending is a must, I think.

km said...

Ok, no Toscanini or Panini.

But definitely Biryani.

Post a Comment