JOST A MON

The idle ramblings of a Jack of some trades, Master of none

Apr 23, 2011

Pals

The other day, the boy and his mum had a brief conversation on their way back home from school. He is not yet six and has gained a deep understanding of the ways of the world.

"I only want to play with J," he said. "He is my best friend."

"But he'll go back to China in two months," said his mum. "You need to be friendly to all the boys."

"I only have one friend," the boy shouted, close to apoplexy. "Do you know how difficult it is to make friends?"


************


The boy's cousins, the chetas, are due to visit us in a few days. He is very pleased and goes around with a grin of anticipation on his face. He is already plotting his activities with them.


************


The boy fought with J yesterday. 

"I said, 'What the hell?' and he said, 'What the hell?'"

"I said, 'What are you talking about?' and he said, 'What are you talking about?'"

"I punched him in the face," he shouted, "and then he punched me in the face."

After a pause for breath, he continued, "I'll punch him in the face tomorrow. And when he goes back to China, I'll take my chetas and go over there and we'll all punch him in the face."

And so he has learned another valuable lesson in life. When explaining to someone what's what, it's good to have a couple of heavies behind you.

6 comments:

km said...

"Do you know how difficult it is to make friends?"

QFT.

Oh God, six is a difficult age.

Szerelem said...

Smart boy, he.

Fëanor said...

KM: And it gets more difficult at seven, if I recall correctly.

Szerelem: :-)

Guru said...

I like the way he's picked up your "what the hell" - he knows how to tackle his dad.

Fëanor said...

He wasn't saying 'what the hell' to me - he said it to his friend, who said it back to him.

Anonymous said...

If I were you I would live in fear of the little one.

Post a Comment